My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 6 February 2015

Thursday lunchtime at LSO St Lukes with a Cellist and Pianist

It was snowing and blowing a gale when I set off for the station yesterday on Thursday - getting the train to London to meet Pete for a wander and a concert at LSO St Lukes

We met in Pret where I really needed a coffee before setting off to walk the rest of the way  It was FREEZING and dribbles of rain so the camera stayed in its bag.

We stopped for lunch in a nearby Pret - as you might gather... we rather like Pret :D

Today it was Natalie Clein - cello, and Sergio Tiempo - piano.

Now I've never really thought much about the Cello as a solo instrument - and probably quite remiss in this.  And as the morning progressed I was blown away with the sheer pleasure of hearing two such very talented musicians and a cello which sang when played by Natalie Clein.

Natalie Clien opened the concert with S Back Suite No 3 in C major for Solo Cello BMV 1009.  Not often have I seen an artist play with such emotion, dedication and utter absorption in the music and her instrument.  Fantastic.

The turn then of Sergio Tiempo play Chopin 6 preludes from Op 20 - very varied piece of music which I liked quite well - and another amazing performance.

Before the final piece, Natalie spoke to the audience - giving us a brief explanation of how the 3 pieces today, were linked - which I though was great.  I just wish more artists would follow her example.  A charming young lady.

And finally Natalie and Sergio came together for Shostakovich Sonata for Cello and Piano in D minor Op 40.

I had reservations about the Shostakovich - not being a huge fan generally, but I have to admit I did enjoy it.  It was a very intense piece and beautifully executed.  I'm no musical buff in an interpretation of the word... but I just know I had a thoroughly enjoyable morning of music.







The Shosta is a work I'd not listen to at home but liked live!! Very intense performance and I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails