My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 4 July 2015

Batemans.. the home of Rudyard Kipling..

I was speculating where to go today... that wasn't one of my regular places to visit... Pete mentioned Batemans... well... looked at the route and timing and decided... well why not?

I got stuck behind a horse box, travelling very slowly.. for its occupants.. for 10 miles along a single lane road.. with no overtaking... not best pleased!!

However, once I arrived peace was restored.

I went for a wander around the garden.


















 
A few Broad-bodied Chasers over the water, but none staying still long enough for a pic..
















Mr Ponders sat and gazed out over the pond watching the dragonflies flit about... think he was rather hoping a cuppa tea would appear ;)

After walking for a bit... he admired the more relaxed part of the garden.


and did rather like it here... lots of water :)


the roses were beautiful....

the house was now open so I had a visit.. it's almost as though Rudyard Kipling stepped out of the house as I arrived.. a lovely lived-in feel....



























and then for a visit to the cafe for a ... fruit scone!!  which I had with jam and cream.. The scone looked lovely and was crisp on the outside... plenty of fruit and flavour was pleasant.. but it was a little on the dry side.. so.. I was glad I had jam and cream today...

Mr Ponders said it looked good. but... he would have liked more moisture too...



and then a walk to the Mill.....










More broad - bodied Chasers here... but far too flighty again!!

There were a pair of Pied Wagtails gathering food.. I think they must have had a nest nearby.  Also saw a Grey Wagtail but it was off before I could get a pic!!









and back into the garden again.





I walked through the car park to find the Quarry Garden


before heading off home... a very pleasant visit in beautiful sunshine, blue skies and a lovely cooling breeze.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails