My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Wednesday 19 July 2017

A local day in Oban, Black Guillimots, Birds, Seals and a Castle

Today I stayed in Oban.. no excursions and it was great just to wander and decided what to do.

I started with a walk along the sea front in hope of seeing Black Guillimots again and I wasn't disappointed.  Some research advised me that there approx 30 pairs nesting here.. I found where that was.. they nest in holes in the sea wall.. amazing sights.. I saw at least 25 at one time.

So have some pics of birds and mostly Black Guillimots


















oh.. and a Herring Gull (I believe)....


I went on a boat trip out to see seals... again not disappointed... lovely to see them. However trying to take pics from a rocking and rolling boat was a challenge to say the least!!









I'd walked along the seafront quite a bit, so some pics and also of views seen from the boat























and finally, I walked to the North end of Oban bay to visit Dunollie House and Castle - now  a ruin. Dunollie is still today the ancestral home  of the Clan MacDougall having been there since 1745.

Had a rather nice smoked Salmon lunch with Oatcakes on arrival at Dunollie, and then had a wander.

Dunollie seen from the boat















Thought of OC when I saw this!!

















A good day and lovely to be unorganised in terms of the coach trip and have a day on my own.. the weather however seems to be breaking.. getting cloudy and the wind is definitely picking up speed.


1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Oystercatchers use our cricket ground as some sort of waypoint, they are always flying over during matches, peeping away and making a hell of a racket! Great birds, full of character.

Related Posts with Thumbnails